To make an REA-managed property your new home, please review and complete the steps below:
Step 1: Visit the Property
- Schedule a Tour: We strongly recommend that you tour the property prior to submitting an application. After application review and approval, we cannot accept a deposit and sign a lease until all applicants have personally visited the property. Virtual tours (i.e. photos and/or videos) do not meet this requirement.
- Vacant Properties: For vacant properties that are not shown by appointment, you can schedule a tour by calling 919.489.2000. We are transitioning to a secure lockbox system which will generate a code for you to obtain access to the property. Prior to obtaining a code, you must first provide a text-enabled phone number or email address and provide a photo or scan of your ID.
- Occupied/Shown By Appointment Properties: For occupied properties, or properties shown by appointment, an appointment must be scheduled in advance. Call 919.489.2000 to schedule your tour.
Step 2: Submit Your Application
- Submit an Application: Apply online or in person. Please call our office before submitting an application if you want to verify that your application will be first in line. If we are currently processing an application on the property, you may submit a back-up application if you desire. If the application we received prior to yours is declined, you will be considered next.
- Pets: If you have a pet, let our leasing agent know prior to submitting your application. Some properties may not allow pets and/or specific breeds.
- Fees: Application fees are non-refundable in all cases. The Application Fee is $55 per applicant. Every adult 18 years old or older must submit a separate application and fee. Application fees must be paid by credit or debit card if applying online. If submitting your application in person, the application fee must be paid by money order or certified check (no cash or personal checks).
- Documents Required: As part of your application, you will need to provide a copy of your photo ID and copies of your two most recent pay stubs (or offer letter, if applicable). If you own your own business, tax forms from the previous year will be required. If you have a dog, please also provide a recent photo.
- Lease Start Date: You must be willing to start the lease within two weeks. If the property is occupied, you must be willing to start your lease within two weeks of the property becoming vacant. If you are unable to take possession of the property within two weeks, please discuss your situation with the leasing agent.
Step 3: Application Review
The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. During the screening process, we will review the following:
- Income (gross household income should be at least 3X the monthly rent)
- Credit Report
- Criminal Background
- Rental References/Eviction History
- Employment Verification
Processing times vary with each application, but typically take between 2 and 3 days. Please be aware that any false information on your application will be grounds for denial.
Step 4: Sign Lease and Pay Deposit
- Sign Lease: Once your application is approved, your lease must be signed by all parties within ONE business day.
- Pay Security Deposit: The security deposit must be paid at the lease signing in certified funds (money order or certified check).
- Pay Pet Fees: Pet fees and pet deposits are also due at this time. These must be paid SEPARATELY in certified funds.
Note: All deposits paid are non-refundable if for any reason you do not take possession of the leased property.
Step 5: Contact Utility Companies
- Schedule all utilities to be transferred into your name on the lease commencement date in order to avoid a loss of service. A list of utility providers can be found here. Proof of connectivity will be required prior to transfer of keys & possession of rental property.
Step 6: Pick Up Keys and Pay the First Month’s Rent
- Pick Up Keys: Keys may be picked up at our office after 8:30 am on your lease commencement date.
- Pay First Month’s Rent: Your first full month’s rent is due at this time. This must be paid in certified funds (money order or certified check).
Disclaimer: The application process is subject to change and may vary at our multi-family and condo communities. Please discuss with the manager on-site.