To make an REA-managed property your new home, please review and complete the steps below:
Step 1: Visit the Property
- We strongly recommend that you tour the property prior to submitting an application. After application review and approval, we cannot accept a deposit and sign a lease until all applicants have personally visited the property. Virtual tours (i.e. photos and/or videos) do not meet this requirement.
- For vacant properties that are not shown by appointment, you may check out keys for up to three properties from our office. A copy of your driver’s license and a $40 key deposit (cash) are required to check out keys. Key check out ends at 4:30 pm and keys must be returned the same day by 5:15 pm.
- For occupied properties, or properties shown by appointment, an appointment must be scheduled in advance. Call 919.489.2000 to schedule your tour.
Step 2: Submit Your Application
- Apply online or in person. Please call our office before submitting an application if you want to verify that your application will be first in line. If we are currently processing an application on the property, you may submit a back-up application if you desire. If the application we received prior to yours is declined, you will be considered next.
- All application fees are non-refundable in all cases.
- Fees: The Application Fee is $55 per applicant. Every adult 18 years old or older must submit a separate application and fee. Application fees must be paid by credit or debit card if applying online. If submitting your application in person, the application fee must be paid by cash, money order or certified check (no personal checks).
- As part of your application, you will need to provide a copy of your photo ID and copies of your two most recent pay stubs (or offer letter, if applicable). If you own your own business, tax forms from the previous year will be required.
- You must be willing to start the lease within two weeks. If the property is occupied, you must be willing to start your lease within two weeks of the property becoming vacant. If you are unable to move in within two weeks, please discuss your situation with leasing agent.
- Pets: If you have a pet, let our leasing agent know prior to submitting your application. Some properties may not allow pets and/or specific breeds.
Step 3: Application Review
During the screening process, we will review the following:
- Income (gross income should be at least 3X the monthly rent)
- Credit Report
- Criminal Background
- Rental References/Eviction History
- Employment Verification
Processing times vary with each application, but typically take between 2 and 3 days.
Step 4: Pay Deposit and Sign Lease
- Once your application is approved, your lease must be signed by all parties within three business days.
- The security deposit must be paid at the lease signing (or before) in certified funds (money order or certified check).
- Pet fees and pet deposits are also due at this time and must be paid in certified funds.
Step 5: Contact Utility Companies
- Schedule all utilities to be transferred into your name on the lease commencement date in order to avoid a loss of service. A list of utility providers can be found here.
Step 6: Pick Up Keys and Pay the First Month’s Rent
- Keys may be picked up at our office after 8:30 am on your lease commencement date.
- Your first full month’s rent is due at this time. This must be paid in certified funds (money order or certified check).
Disclaimer: The application process is subject to change and may vary at our multi-family and condo communities. Please discuss with the manager on-site.